Eva Cassidy
Eva Cassidy is an American singer I began listening to a few years ago. At the time I was going through some pretty heavy cancer treatment, and her unaffected style of singing was very soothing to me. Eventually I looked her up on the Internet, only to find that she had died years earlier of skin cancer at age 33.

I am not sure how to describe why I like her so much. Certainly not the strongest voice out there. But her interpretations of songs along with her easy style just seems to calm me.

Here is an example of her singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFFo1pu4q7Q
Here's a related youtube video. This features British singer Katie Melua talking about Eva Cassidy, along with a mini-documentary about Cassidy. Melua also performs a duet with a movie recording of Eva Cassidy singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbLXI7R_lg
I didn't see any links to the music or vids, but I do remember who she is now, I have one of her CD's. It's very good.
I thought she was English, but maybe she recorded the CD I have in England or something.
Sorry you had trouble viewing the Eva Cassidy vids. They are supposed to appear as a player embedded in the message. Anyway, I added direct links to the messages so you can see the performances. They are actually very good.

Considering the trouble embedding youtube vids is causing, I think I'll simply provide links from now on.

Well, it might just be my computer. I had been able to access links before. I have been having trouble with my computer lately for no apparent reason, so it really just might be me. Would be better if we had more people to test things out with. Trying to get some advice to see if I can fix things.........so annoying.

A few of her songs are so sad to me, I can't listen to them without getting sad and crying. But they might also be associated in my mind of when I was so so sick and desperate to get well.
(10-30-2011, 03:43 PM)Bunny Wrote: A few of her songs are so sad to me, I can't listen to them without getting sad and crying. But they might also be associated in my mind of when I was so so sick and desperate to get well.

I think some of her songs are sung in a sad (or plaintive) way compared to how others deliver them. Someone told me that her "Over the Rainbow" brings tears.

I was first listening to her when I was very ill, and maybe I found company in this. Later I was even sicker, and was listening to Sarah McLachlan a lot. Especially her albums Fumbling Toward Ecstasy and Afterglow. This music gave me a lot of comfort. One day a caregiver commented that a lot of her music has a depressing feel to it. And I realized that maybe it did.
Oh, you know. When I was super sick and down, I listened to alot of Sarah McLachlan too! I did find her super comforting. But, now that i am doing so much better, I don't ever crave listening to her. Interesting. I think so many emotional responses get associated with music, so it can effect us all so differently depending on our association with it. Hey, whatever works baby! Music is there for us to explore and enjoy in our own ways.
Yes, she is an awesome singer. It is so strange that she really wasn't "discovered" until after she passed away. I love her cover of Sting's "Fields of Gold."