Book on "Fatigue"
I was looking at reviews for "Legends of the Fall" when I happened upon a reviewer. Oh, and how my distractable mind works, I followed link after link, and found this book:

From Fatigued to Fantastic by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum

The review I came across criticized him for being unscientific. I'm just curious if anyone else has read it! I'm not sure I wanna shill out any bucks to read something if it doesn't have any hard evidence.

I post a link to the review below, and the reviewer is pretty harsh, but makes some good points. I use PubMed a lot in my work, and if someone does not have credible published data, I'm a lot more suspect of their arguments:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2F5CLM7QVU...r_rdp_perm

Hmmm, well, I read the book or at least read parts of it way back when I was more new to the disease.

So, I don't really remember too much about it. From what i remember some of the stuff he suggested was pretty straight forward, seamed to me he might help people who were just a little sick. I don't remember though really. I think he suggested alot of standard drugs that MD's use. But, I really don't remember and I'm not sure if he updated it.

I have heard from a physician that he charges $5000 to see him, so, he doesn't have much credibility with real physicians in that field.

My doc is one of the cheapest docs I have ever seen and he's great. He hasn't made me well, but it isn't like there is any real treatment for the disease. When my doc and I were talking about the docs in it to make lots of $ off of desperate sick people, my doc said: "Yeah, it isn't like these guys know anything that we (meaning credible real physicians looking to help people) don't know." And then my doc quickly calculated in his head how much $ these docs make a year, taking in how much they would pay staff etc. hehe!

How's about this suggestion: order the book from your local library and that way you don't have to shell out anything and you can check it out and see if there is anything helpful for you. That's what I did many years ago, I got it from the libraray. It's great, cus you can request stuff from other libraries. I've read so many thing about how to get better, wasted so much $. Now, I'm just trying to enjoy my life as is within my limits. I still do take very good care of myself though and have to be super careful what I eat and how much I do.
It's hard to cover a figure as controversial as Teitelbaum in a few words. But I agree with some of what his critic says.

I also happen to have a copy of his study: Teitelbaum, Jacob E., Bird, Barbara, Greenfield, Robert M., Weiss, Alan, Muenz, Larry and Gould, Laurie(2000) 'Effective Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia—A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Intent-To-Treat Study', Journal Of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 8: 2, 3 — 15. He uses this to justify his protocol. And I see some problems. For one, it didn't study Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). His study says the subjects have Fibromyalgia, with some symptoms of CFS. That's not good enough. For example, MS has some of the symptoms of CFS, but we don't use MS studies to draw conclusions about CFS.

Also, his protocol puts a great deal of attention on sleep management. This is an important area to attack, and I am impressed that he takes this on. But I would guess that any Fibro patient with shattered sleep will see fixed sleep as a big improvement. For this reason, I think he should have given some subjects only the sleep protocol, and compared them with subjects on the full protocol. My hunch is the self-reports on degree of improvement would be about the same.

Anyway, I also have his book and I never recommend it.
Thanks for your ideas, Bunny and Andrew. I have thought about checking it out from the library, as you suggest, but somehow I got distracted and ended up reading another book called _Red Mars_. Ah well!
(05-07-2012, 02:11 AM)Aiona Wrote: Thanks for your ideas, Bunny and Andrew. I have thought about checking it out from the library, as you suggest, but somehow I got distracted and ended up reading another book called _Red Mars_. Ah well!

Hmmm, I never read Red Mars. What do you think of it?

Also, you could allow the distraction of "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester. Some people consider it the best Sci Fi book ever written. I found it to be a fascinating odyssey. Also, if you want something to read about ME/CFS, I can mail you something. I'll see what I have here.
There's a new book out that people have given good reviews. It's an autobiographical novel about a dude with CFS.

Love and Fatigue in America. Must try to remind myself to get one from the library!

(05-07-2012, 04:14 AM)Andrew Wrote: Hmmm, I never read Red Mars. What do you think of it?

Also, you could allow the distraction of "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester. Some people consider it the best Sci Fi book ever written. I found it to be a fascinating odyssey. Also, if you want something to read about ME/CFS, I can mail you something. I'll see what I have here.

Well, I kinda just got it in the mail this last week, and aside from the first 15 minutes, I didn't get much reading done, as work called, tyke needed watching, house chores, etc. So I'm hoping I can sit down a bit next weekend and read some. Smile

And yes, _The Stars My Destination_ is now on my to-read list. Should we start a new section for books, maybe? Smile

(05-07-2012, 06:11 AM)Bunny Wrote: There's a new book out that people have given good reviews. It's an autobiographical novel about a dude with CFS.

Love and Fatigue in America. Must try to remind myself to get one from the library!

Another one for the the to-read-list. Yes, we definitely need a Books section of the forum, yes? Smile
Yes! I was just thinking that myself! Well, there are so few of us at the moment, I guess we can find post anywhere.
(05-09-2012, 12:29 PM)Aiona Wrote: Should we start a new section for books, maybe? Smile

Looks like one just appeared. Wink