Perfume
Perfume is a 1985 novel by Patrick Süskind. Set in 18th Century France, it is the story about an olfactory genius and twisted soul named Jean-Baptiste Grenouille. It begins in infancy where his difference from others starts to become apparent.

But this is not simply a novel. It's a horror story. It is so creepy that I declined to watch the movie version. I don't know how I finished the book, except that Grenouille's olfactory skills were so unusual and the story telling was so good. And maybe my interest in fragrances helped.

Anyway, be warned. Approach with caution. It is the creepiest book I've read, but it also contains the most fascinating character I've seen in fiction.

Hmmm. I just thought of something. I don't generally read horror stories. So maybe this creepy guy is mild compared to other horror stories. But be warned anyway.
oh yeah, that would be too much for me, I think. I don't read many novels anyways, and I too, avoided the movie cus i didn't want to freek myself out too much.