The Good Lie
Movie about a Sudanese family whose parents are killed by soldiers. They make their way first to Ethiopia and then to Kenya looking for safety. Then travel to America to find jobs. The African part of the story was told brilliantly. The American leg of the story suffers because of the heavy-handed fish-out-of-water gimmicks. But it didn't fall in quality so much that I gave up. And then near the end the movie returned to its original level, but never fully recovered.

Not sorry I watched it, but won't watch it again. Not sure whether to recommend it. But it feels like a big waste to have so many good elements ruined by Hollywood gimmicks.
Oh, I loved it! There were a few things I found not that great but to me, it didn't bother me much. I wanted to know more about them too. It could be a cool mini series if it was done well with learning about each character's experiences in a deep way. Such a lovely film though. Did you see the documentary on some of Sudan's Lost Boys? It was interesting and sad too. The thing that struck me the most was that the men felt so lonely in America as they had to work so much, they never got to hang out together and be a family like they were in Africa, how our culture was all work work work.